Advice For Claiming For Injuries From A University Accident

This guide will discuss the process of claiming compensation for injuries you sustained in a university accident. If you’ve been injured in an accident caused by a third party’s negligence, you may be able to make a claim. We will explore what constitutes negligence in more detail throughout our guide.

We’ll also discuss the duty of care owed to you as well as look at examples of how an accident in a university could occur.

If you’re interested in making a claim for an accident in a public place, you may benefit from working with a solicitor from our panel. They can offer their services under a kind of No Win No Fee agreement. We’ll be discussing this further in more detail throughout our guide.

If you’d like to get in touch to discuss public liability claims further, then you can get in contact with us by:

  • Filling out our contact form online
  • Calling on 020 8050 2736
  • Chatting with one of our advisors via the live chat feature on our website.
university accident

University accident claims guide

Choose A Section

  1. A Guide To Claiming For A University Accident
  2. When Are You Eligible To Claim For A University Accident?
  3. What Evidence Could Help You Claim For An Accident In A Public Place?
  4. What Compensation Could You Receive From A Personal Injury Claim?
  5. Why Use Our Panel Of No Win No Fee Lawyers To Claim?
  6. Read More About Making A Claim For A University Accident

A Guide To Claiming For A University Accident

This guide will discuss the process of making a personal injury claim for an injury that happened in a university accident. There are several types of injuries you could experience in this type of accident, such as a slip, trip or fall. 

However, in order to make a claim, it’s important to prove that your injuries were caused by the negligence of a third party. This involves demonstrating:

  • You were owed a duty of care
  • The duty of care you were owed was breached
  • As a result of the breach, you sustained harm. This is called negligence.

If you have any questions about whether you could seek compensation, please contact our legal advisors by using the contact information above. 

When Are You Eligible To Claim For A University Accident?

You are owed a duty of care by the university under the Occupiers’ Liability Act 1957. This means, as the party in control of a public space, they have to ensure your reasonable safety. As part of their duty, they could carry out regular risk assessments to ensure they have addressed any risks that pose a threat to your safety. If they fail to do uphold this duty of care, this could lead to you sustaining harm. For example:

  • Falling down stairs and sustaining a shoulder injury due to a faulty handrail that hadn’t been fixed in a timely manner.
  • Slipping on a wet floor due to no warning signs being present and sustaining an arm injury.
  • Injuring yourself due to a malfunctioning escalator that hadn’t been regularly checked.

When making a claim for a university accident, there are often areas within the university’s campus that the university doesn’t necessarily own, including shops, bars, restaurants and cafes. In these instances, the person in control of the space would owe a duty of care rather than the university. 

To learn more about who could be liable for the injuries you sustained, please get in touch on the number above.

What Evidence Could Help You Claim For An Accident In A Public Place?

In order to strengthen your university accident claim, you can provide evidence. Potential types of evidence that help to prove a person was harmed by negligence include: 

  • Evidence of the accident, such as witness contact information, CCTV, photos.
  • Keeping a diary of your treatment and symptoms.
  • Asking for copies of any medical records.

If you’re unsure how to collect evidence, you might find it beneficial to seek legal advice. An advisor can provide free legal advice on your potential claim. If they find it’s valid, they could connect you with one of the personal injury solicitors from our panel. 

A solicitor can help you through the different stages of the claims process. They can also arrange for you to attend an independent medical assessment. This can provide an in depth report on your injuries which can be used to support your claim.

Additionally, you should be aware of the time limit in place for starting a claim. This is generally three years from the date the accident happened or the date you became aware of negligence.

There are some exceptions that can apply in certain situations, such as if the injured person is under the age of 18 or the person lacks the mental capacity to claim.

To learn more, you can get in touch using the number at the top of the page.

What Compensation Could You Recieve From A Personal Injury Claim?

General damages is one of the heads that can make up a settlement awarded following a successful university accident claim. These damages aim to compensate a claimant for the pain and suffering that their injuries have caused them.

Below is a table detailing compensation brackets from the Judicial College Guidelines. They are used by solicitors to help them when valuing your injuries.

Note that these figures are only estimates and are in no way guaranteed. This is due to the many different variables taken into account when valuing general damages.

Arm Injuries£96,160 - £130,930(a) Severe Injuries: Injuries which are just short of amputation but are very serious, and leave the person little better than if their arm was amputated.
Arm Injuries£39,170 - £59,860(b) Injuries that cause a permanent and substantial disability such as a serious fracture affecting one or both forearms.
Arm Injuries£19,200 - £39,170(c) Less Severe Injury: The person will have sustained a significant disability but there will be a substantial degree of recovery that has occurred or will be expected.
Leg Injuries£96,250 - £135,920(b) Severe Leg Injuries (i): Injuries in this bracket are the most serious falling short of amputation, such as an extensive degloving of the leg.
Leg Injuries£54,830 - £87,890(b) Severe Leg Injuries (ii): Injuries are very serious leading to permanent issues with mobility.
Leg Injuries£17,960 to £27,760(c) Less Serious Leg Injuries (i): The person makes an incomplete recovery from fractures.
Knee Injuries£69,730 - £96,210(a) Severe (i): Serious knee injury that has caused disruption to the joint along with other issues.
Ankle Injuries£50,060 - £69,700(a) Very Severe: Injuries such as a bilateral ankle fracture that causes joint degeneration at a young age.
Wrist Injuries
£47,620 - £59,860(a) Injuries resulting in the complete loss of function in the wrist.
Hand Injuries£29,000 to £61,910(e) Serious: Hand injuries that reduce the hand to around half it's capacity.

Payouts For Personal Injury Claims – What Is Special Damages Compensation?

Special damages are another head of claim that’ll make up your overall settlement. These damages aim to reimburse you for any financial losses you may have accrued due to your injuries. This can include:

  • Cost of care
  • Loss of earnings
  • The cost of modifications to your home whilst recovering
  • Medical expenses

You should provide evidence when seeking reimbursement for these financial losses, including invoices, receipts, or bank statements. 

For more information on the workplace accident compensation you could receive following a successful claim, please get in touch.

Why Use Our Panel Of No Win No Fee Lawyers To Claim?

If you’re interested in making a university accident claim, then you may find it beneficial to use No Win No Fee solicitors.

The solicitors from our panel can offer you a Conditional Fee Agreement (CFA). This is a type of No Win No Fee agreement that typically means you can avoid paying a fee for the work your solicitor has done if the claim fails.

If the claim is successful, you generally will need to pay a success fee from your compensation. However, the fee is capped by law.

To learn whether you’re eligible to have a solicitor from our panel represent your claim on this basis, please get in touch using the details provided below.

Contact Us For Free To See If You Can Claim For Negligence

You can get a free consultation in relation to your claim at any time by using the contact details below. An advisor can discuss whether you’re able to claim compensation for a university accident and answer any questions you might have after reading our guide. You can get in touch by:

  • Filling out our contact form online
  • Calling on 020 8050 2736
  • Chatting with one of our advisors via the live chat feature on our website.

Read More About Making A Claim For A University Accident

For more of our guides:

For more external resources:

We hope this guide on whether you’re eligible to claim compensation for injuries sustained in a university accident has helped. However, if you have any other questions, please get in touch using the details provided above.

Writer Louis Price

Editor Meg McDonald