The Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB)

The Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) was founded in 1946 to compensate those who have been affected by uninsured and untraceable drivers. Their objectives are as follows:

  • Reduce the impact and level of uninsured driving in the UK.
  • Compensate those who have been affected by untraceable and uninsured drivers promptly and fairly.
  • Provide specialist claims services as well as first-class data assets management.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 (RTA), every insurer that provides motor insurance is obliged to be an MIB member and contribute funding to them.

The MIB considers personal injury claims as well as claims for property and vehicle damage if compensation cannot be claimed via any other means, such as via an insurance policy.

Claiming Against Uninsured And Untraceable Drivers

Section 143 of the RTA states that every motor vehicle driver needs to have motor insurance to be able to legally use their vehicle on the roads. Section 145 of the RTA states that this insurance must provide adequate cover for you for an injury or damage to a third party while using that motor vehicle. Anyone who operates a vehicle on the roads without motor insurance is classed as an uninsured driver. If you are involved in a road traffic accident with another road user who is uninsured, a claim could be made through the MIB for any injuries and damage suffered.

Section 170 of the RTA states that a person opening a motor vehicle is required to stop and exchange any relevant information, such as insurance details, if they are involved in a road traffic accident that causes damage or injury. If a person does not give this information at the scene of the accident, they must report this accident to the police within 24 hours. Anyone who does not stop following a road traffic accident, such as a hit and run,  is classed as an untraceable driver. If you have been involved in an accident with an untraceable driver, a claim could be made for any injuries and damage suffered through the MIB.

When making a personal injury claim through the MIB, the amount of compensation you could receive will be valued the same as traditional road traffic accident claims.

The Motor Insurance Database (MID)

The MIB also manages the Motor Insurance Database (MIB). This is a central record of all insured vehicles in the UK. It MID is also managed and sued by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) and the police to enforce laws regarding motor insurance.

The MIB shares this database’s information with the information the DVLA hold to identify vehicles that are uninsured under the Continuous Insurance Enforcement Scheme (CIE).

Contact our advisors to see whether you could make a road traffic accident claim through the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB).