When Can I Claim For T-Bone Accident Injuries?

Have you been injured in a road traffic accident? If so, you might be wondering if you can claim for t-bone accident injuries. To be entitled to make a personal injury claim, the incident must have been caused by another driver’s negligence. Furthermore, you must have suffered injuries as a result. We will explore what negligence involves in more detail throughout this guide.

Additionally, this guide will look to answer questions such as:

  • How long after a road traffic accident can you claim?
  • Can I claim for a road accident on a No Win No Fee basis?
  • How much road traffic accident claim compensation might I receive? 

We will also explore in greater detail the duty of care that road users have for one another while providing examples of how it can be breached. 

Furthermore, we will explore the steps you can take when seeking compensation for injuries sustained in a road traffic collision, such as gathering evidence and hiring one of the road traffic accident solicitors from our panel. 

If you need any other information, you can speak directly to a member of our team. To get in touch:

When can I claim for t-bone accident injuries?

When can I claim for t-bone accident injuries?

Choose A Section

  1. Can You Claim For T-Bone Accident Injuries?
  2. Do Road Users Have A Duty Of Care?
  3. When Can You Claim For T-Bone Accident Injuries?
  4. T-Bone Accident Injuries – What Compensation Could You Receive?
  5. Potential Evidence In A Car Crash Claim
  6. Why Make A No Win No Fee Road Accident Claim?
  7. Learn More About Making A Road Traffic Accident Claim

Can You Claim For T-Bone Accident Injuries?

There are many ways an accident on the road could occur and lead to you sustaining harm. For the purpose of this article, we will be examining t-bone accidents.

A t-bone accident is when the front of a vehicle hits the side of another vehicle, which forms the shape of a “T” at the point of impact.

Not all road traffic accidents will form the basis of a valid claim. You will need to prove that negligence occurred. Negligence involves a third party breaching the duty of care they owed you and causing you to sustain harm as a result. This can include both physical and psychological injuries.

The severity of the harm you experience could influence the compensation you receive. We will look at this in more detail later on in our guide.

Please continue reading for more information on the duty of care other road users owe each other. Alternatively, get in touch to understand when you could claim for t-bone accident injuries.

Do Road Users Have A Duty Of Care?

The duty of care that road users must adhere to is outlined by The Road Traffic Act 1988 (RTA). It states that all drivers should operate in a manner that does not put themselves or other road users at risk of injury. 

Moreover, The Highway Code also provides guidelines and rules for different road users, some of which are backed up by law and others are simply guidance. 

Whilst all road users owe a duty of care, there are certain road users who are classed as more vulnerable. Rule 204 of the Highway Code states that pedestrians as well as other road users are most at risk of road traffic. It also states that road users who have the potential to cause the greatest harm have the greatest responsibility to reduce the danger or threat that they pose on the road.

If you have been involved in an accident and suffered injuries due to another road user breaching their duty of care, please get in touch for more information. An advisor can help you understand whether you’re eligible to claim for t-bone accident injuries.

When Can You Claim For T-Bone Accident Injuries?

There are various ways a t-bone accident could occur. For example:

  • A driver might not carry out the necessary checks when pulling out at a junction and they fail to see you. Consequently, they collide with your car, and you endure a shoulder injury and back injury.
  • Due to being under the influence of alcohol, a driver swerves into your lane and crashes into you. Subsequently, you endure a neck injury and hand injury.
  • Another driver merges onto the roundabout despite there not being enough space to do so. As a result, they collide with your vehicle, and you suffer an arm injury

However, it’s not always possible to claim for t-bone accident injuries. You would need to prove that another road user’s negligence caused you harm. For more information, get in touch using the details above.

T-Bone Accident Injuries – What Compensation Could You Receive?

If you are awarded a payout for your car crash personal injury claim, it may include two heads of claim; general damages and special damages. 

General damages seek to compensate you for any physical or psychological pain and suffering caused by your injuries. 

Using figures from the Judicial College Guidelines (JCG), we have compiled a table of guideline compensation amounts.

Despite the JCG being a document that legal professionals, such as road traffic accident solicitors use to help them when valuing the general damages portion of claims, these figures should only be used as a guideline. 

This is because each personal injury claim is unique, and the payout you receive could differ from what’s listed below.

Injury TypeCompensation Bracket (Guideline)Other Details
Brain Damage£219,070 to £282,010(b) Moderately Severe: The person has a very serious disability, either physical or cognitive and there is a substantial dependence on others.
Neck InjuriesIn the region of £148,330(a) Severe (i) Cases in this bracket include where the injured person has worn a collar for 24 hours a day but still experiences mobility issues in the neck as well as severe headaches.
Arm Amputations Not less than £137,160(b) (i) Loss of one arm at shoulder level.
Foot Injuries£83,960 to £109,650(b) Amputation of one foot where the ankle joint is also lost.
Wrist Injuries£47,620 to £59,860(a) Injuries resulting in total loss of function in the wrist.
Shoulder Injuries£19,200 to £48,030(a) Severe: Damage to the brachial plexus causing considerable disability and often associated with neck injuries.
Other Arm Injuries£6,610 to £19,200(d) A simple forearm fracture.
Elbow Injuries£15,650 to £32,010(b) Less severe: Function is impaired but there is no major surgery required and no significant disability.
Hand Injuries£140,660 to £201,490(a) Both hands are totally or effectively lost.
Leg Injuries£240,790 to £282,010(a) Amputations (i) Both legs are lost.

Special damages could also be included in your settlement. This head of claim can reimburse you for any financial losses caused by your injuries. Examples can include:

  • The cost of medical care
  • Care costs 
  • Home adaptation costs

It is important to keep a record of all losses to be reimbursed for them.

Find out more about how much your personal injury claim could be worth after sustaining t-bone accident injuries by getting in touch with a member of our team. 

When Do You Need To Claim Using The Whiplash Regulations?

The process of claiming compensation for whiplash injuries changed as of the 31st of May 2021. If you are over the age of 18 and sustain a whiplash or soft tissue injury worth £5,000 or less as a passenger or driver of a vehicle, you will have to claim via the government’s Official Injury Claims portal. This is due to changes introduced by the Whiplash Reform Programme and means your whiplash injuries will be valued in line with the tariff of injuries in the Whiplash Injury Regulations 2021.

However, if your claim does not need to be made through the Official Injury Claims portal, you may still be subject to the tariff. If your injuries are not included in the tariff, they will be valued in the traditional way. 

Below, we have created a table using the figures from the tariff. If you have any questions about whether the whiplash reforms would apply to your claim for t-bone accident injuries, please get in touch on the number above.

Time span of injuryOne or more whiplash injuriesOne or more whiplash injuries with one or more minor psychological injuries
No more than 3 months£240£260
3-6 months£495£520
6-9 months£840£895
9-12 months£1,320£1,390
12-15 months£2,040£2,125
15-18 months£3,005£3,100
18-24 months£4,215£4,345

Potential Evidence In A Car Crash Claim

After a road traffic accident, you could experience injuries that require medical attention. In seeking medical attention, you can ensure you receive treatment and a diagnosis. This will also generate medical records that can be used as evidence to support your case.

Other steps you could take include:

  • Collect the contact details of any witnesses
  • Acquire CCTV footage of the incident
  • Take pictures of your injuries and/or the scene of the accident

You may also wish to seek legal advice. One of our advisors can help run you through the claims process after suffering t-bone accident injuries, including the evidence you can gather. They may also be able to connect you with a solicitor from our panel. Get in touch using the number above.

Why Make A No Win No Fee Road Accident Claim?

Claiming on a No Win No Fee basis can be beneficial. This is because there are generally no fees to be paid upfront or whilst your claim for a car accident is ongoing. 

You may be wondering, “how does no win no fee work?”. Generally, our panel of car accident claim solicitors work under a Conditional Fee Agreement (CFA) which means you don’t pay for the services they provide if your case is lost.

However, if your case is won, you will be required to pay a legally capped success fee to your solicitor. 

Our advisors are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to offer free legal advice. If you have a valid claim for t-bone accident injuries, they may connect you with a solicitor from our panel. To get in touch: 

Learn More About Making A Road Traffic Accident Claim 

Below, we have included some additional resources that may help you:

Additionally, we have included some of our own guides that might be of use: 

Thank you for reading our guide exploring the question ‘when can I claim for t-bone accident injuries?’. If you have any other questions, get in touch on the number above.

Writer Beck Patcher

Editor Meg McDonald