Minor Car Accident – Can I Claim?

This guide will help you understand what injuries are eligible for a personal injury claim after a minor car accident. There are a number of things to consider when seeking compensation after sustaining an injury in a road traffic accident. We discuss the duty of care owed to you by road users and what evidence can prove another road users negligence. 

There are various ways injuries sustained in a car accident could affect you. However, you could seek compensation for the impact the injuries have had on your life. We have provided further guidance on this later on in our guide.

We will discuss No Win No Fee agreements and what benefits this option for hiring legal representation can have. To speak to an advisor about reaching a No Win No Fee solicitor from our panel or to discuss your potential claim, you can:

  • Call us on the number at the top of the page
  • Complete the contact form and we will get back to you
  • Use the live chat feature to speak to an advisor instantly
minor car accident

Minor car accident claims guide

Choose A Section

  1. Minor Car Accident – Can I Make A Claim?
  2. Compensation Payouts For A Minor Car Accident
  3. Explaining Minor Car Accidents
  4. What Could Help Prove Minor Car Accident Claims?
  5. Can I Claim Under A No Win No Fee Agreement?
  6. More Information On What To Do After A Minor Car Accident

Minor Car Accident – Can I Make A Claim?

There are various types of road traffic accidents that can occur, such as cycling accidents, motorcycling accidents, car accidents and pedestrian accidents. Additionally, a minor car accident can happen in multiple environments, such as:

  • Car parks: You could suffer harm in a collision with a car if the driver doesn’t check their mirrors when turning out of a parking space.
  • Public roads: A van driver may drive too closely to a car in front of them. As a result, they may slam into the back of the car when stopping at a set of traffic lights. 
  • Motorways: T-Bone and side swipe collisions can occur through unsafe merging and lane changes.

However, not all accidents can lead to you being able to seek compensation. In order to make a claim after a road traffic accident, you must determine that a third party’s negligence caused the accident which lead to your injuries. 

If you have any questions regarding your eligibility to claim, please contact our team of advisors. They can offer you free legal advice.

Compensation Payouts For A Minor Car Accident

When making a claim for a minor car accident, you may wonder how much compensation you could receive. The amount you receive will depend on certain factors, such as the severity of your injuries and if you experience any long-lasting effects.

Generally, though, personal injury compensation can be made up of two heads:

  • General damages seek to compensate you for the pain and suffering you experienced as a result of your injuries.
  • Special damages reimburse for any financial losses caused by the injuries, including travel costs and medical bills.

To be awarded with special damages, you must provide evidence such as prescriptions, payslips and receipts. 

When assessing the value of the general damages head of claim, legal professionals can use the Judicial College Guidelines (JCG) to help them. This document contains compensation brackets based on past court cases. 

We have used figures from the most recent edition of the JCG to create the table below. However, please be aware that the compensation brackets are just guidelines, not guaranteed settlement awards. 

Very Severe Brain Damage (a)£282,010 - £403,990 The person will require full time care.
Chest Injury (a)£100,670 - £150,110Where one lung has been completely removed and/ or the heart has been seriously damaged.
Chest Injury (b)£65,740 - £100,670Traumatic injury to the chest, lungs and/or heart.
Chest Injury (c)£31,310 - £54,830Continuing disability after damage to chest and lungs.
Severe Neck Injury (a) (i)In the region of £148,330A neck injury alongside paraplegia that's incomplete is an example of the injuries in this bracket.
Severe Neck Injury (a) (ii)£65,740 - £130,930Injuries in this bracket include serious fractures.
Severe Arm Injuries (a)£96,160 - £130,930Injuries that fall short of amputation.
Moderate Back Injury (b) (i)£27,760 - £38,780Various injuries are included in this bracket, such as compression or crush fractures.
Severe Shoulder Injuries (a)£19,200 - £48,030This bracket includes neck injuries that cause brachial plexus damage.
Less Severe Elbow Injuries (b)£15,650 - £32,010Where function has been impaired but there will be no major surgery.

For a more accurate assessment of what you could claim, contact our team of advisors. They can discuss the maximum car accident claim payouts.

Compensation Payouts Under The Whiplash Injury Regulations 2021

There have been changes made to the way claims are made for low value road traffic accidents as per the Whiplash Reform Programme.

The changes state that as a passenger or driver, if you’re over the age of 18 and your injuries are worth £5000 or less, you must claim through the government portal. 

As such, your claim will be valued using the tariff set out in the Whiplash Injury Regulations 2021 rather than the JCG.

Injury DurationCompensation for one or more whiplash injuriesCompensation for one or more whiplash injuries and one or more minor psychological injuries
No more than 3 months£240£260
3 to 6 months£495£520
6 to 9 months£840£895
9 to 12 months£1,320£1,390
12 to 15 months£2,040£2,125
15 to 18 months£3,005£3,100
18 to 24 months£4,215£4,345

For more information on whiplash claim amounts and low value road traffic accident claims, call our team. They can provide guidance on the avenue you may need to take when making a minor car accident claim.

Explaining Minor Car Accidents

There are various ways a minor car accident or other type of road traffic accident could occur. Examples might include:

  • You may sustain whiplash as a passenger due to the driver failing to pay due care and attention when driving, causing them to hit into the car in front. 
  • You may be involved in a HGV accident on the motorway. This could have been caused by the driver of the vehicle failing to check their mirrors before changing lanes. As a result, you may have sustained a neck injury.
  • A taxi accident could have occurred if the driver was texting while operating their vehicle. As a result, you may have sustained minor injuries due to them knocking into a cyclist.

When making a road traffic accident claim, you must determine that you are owed a duty of care from a third party. If this duty of care is breached, resulting in causation and damage, you may be eligible for compensation.

All road users should abide by the rules set out in the Highway Code. This highlights the responsibilities of all road users navigating the roads.

Our advisors can help you determine if you have a valid personal injury claim. To get started, call us using the number at the top of the page.

What Could Help Prove Minor Car Accident Claims?

After a road traffic accident, it is important that you are able to prove you were injured due to third-party negligence resulting in a breach of duty of care. 

To prove negligence, you could gather evidence to support your claim, such as:

  • Medical records
  • Contact details of any witnesses
  • CCTV footage
  • Police reports
  • Dashcam footage
  • Pictures of your injuries or the accident

Additionally, you may need to attend a medical exam with an independent medical professional. They can assess your injuries and determine the full extent of how they impacted your quality of life. This information can also be used to help when valuing your claim.

A solicitor from our panel could help you gather evidence that’s relevant to your case. For more information on how you could work with a solicitor from our panel, see the section below.

Can I Claim Under A No Win No Fee Agreement?

If you’re interested in working with hiring a solicitor to represent your personal injury claim, you may benefit from working with a No Win No Fee solicitor from our panel. They offer to represent claims under a Conditional Fee Agreement (CFA). 

As part of the agreement, you won’t pay for your solicitors services upfront or while your claim proceeds. Additionally, you won’t need to pay for their services if your claim fails.

You will need to pay a success fee from your compensation if your claim wins. However, this fee is subject to a legal cap.

For more information on working with a car accident claim solicitor from our panel on this basis, call our team.

Ask Us “Should I Claim After A Minor Car Accident?”

If you’re ready to start the process of making a claim for a minor car accident, contact our team today. Or if you need more information before you proceed, our advisors can discuss your options with you. 

To reach an advisor, you can:

  • Call us on the number at the top of the page
  • Complete the contact form and we will get back to you
  • Use the live chat feature to speak to an advisor instantly

More Information On What To Do After A Minor Car Accident?

Below are some links to additional resources that you may find beneficial.

You are also welcome to read other road traffic accident claims guides we have available:

We hope this guide has provided the information you need on making a minor car accident claim. However, if you need any other information, call our team on the number above.